The British Columbia auto insurance or popularly known as the Basic AutoPlan is solely sold by ICBC or the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. The mandatory coverage or Basic AutoPlan is provided by ICBC but the Optional Coverage can be purchased from the independent insurance companies.
In order to drive in BC, you need to have at least the basic AutoPlan coverage. The basic AutoPlan coverage contains:
- Third Party Liability of at least $200,000. this is to protect you for any costs arising from third party personal or property injury.
- AutoPlan Accident Benefits will cover, but not limited to, medical expenses, loss of income and others that you may incur in case of an accident.
- Uninsured Motorist Protection or UMP will cover the costs incurred in case the accident is caused by a driver who doesn’t have insurance.
- Hit-and-run coverage protects you, your personal property or anyone who’s injured, killed or property is damaged due to a hit-and-run in BC.
- Inverse liability protection covers you in other provinces of Canada or anywhere in Northern America, where local laws don’t let you claim against the person who caused your crash. These are what comprises your British Columbia auto insurance.
You can visit different insurance broker offices to get the Basic AutoPlan and Optional Coverage at the same time. There are also a lot of financial institutions serving ICBC and offering the Basic AutoPlan as well as the Optional Coverage. Here are some of the financial institutions that offer ICBC AutoPlan.
- ICBC AutoPlan Insurance Agency
- Sussex Insurance Company
- Allied Insurance Services, Inc
- Westland Insurance Group
- Prime Insurance Centre Ltd
- S&S Insurance Services
- AllWest Insurance Service Ltd
- Fraser Heights Insurance Services
- Sureway Insurance Services Ltd
- Meier & Co Insurance Agencies Ltd
- AMC Insurance
- Wm Anderson Insurance & Notary Public
- Discovery Insurance
- Mountainview Insurance Ltd